UK Trip: Sunday 31st July 2016 - The Wanderer's Photos
Parnell Street looking west. Sat 24.06.17


Gallery updates and Latest News

*June 2017 updated 26th June *

* LUAS Cross City updated 24th June *

* Emerald Isle Explorer updated 22nd June *

Killaloe, Co.Clare was the terminus of a short Great Southern & Western Railway branch line, which ran from Birdhill on the Limerick to Ballybrophy line, to Killaloe on the River Shannon. It was opened on the 12th April 1864. The station was resited further north in 1894 to this present site, beyond the road bridge across the River Shannon. It is a two storey brick built station building with a single platform, and once boasted a wooden train shed. Regular passenger services on the Killaloe branch were ceased in 1931 by the Great Southern Railway, but occasional excursion/goods trains ran until the line was finally closed in 1948 by CIE. <br />
<br />
Of note is while the station was called Killaloe it was actually located in the town of Ballina Co. Tipperary, which is on the eastern bank of the River Shannon, while Killaloe, Co. Clare is located across the river on the western bank. Sun 25.06.17

Social Media Pages